Friday, November 8, 2013

Do You Hear What I Hear?

Daily Reading Romans 8: 26-30  *click here*

My Princess was born 6 months early.  Because of her prematurity (she's now 7) there are a few things we have to deal with, that aren't necessarily a part of other people's day.  
One of the "side effects" of premature birth is hyper sensitivity.  My Princess feels deeply.  If she's upset, she sure lets you know it!  Even the neighbors down the street know it.  Sometimes this can be super hard to deal with.  
Today she had one of her episodes.  She was mad, but she couldn't quite figure out why she was mad.  See that's another part of it: she feels deeply, but she doesn't know how to express or discuss what it is she's feeling, she is only seven.  This is frustrating for both parties.  
Usually I call my mom.  My mom and I talk about 40 times a day.  Ok, that may be a little exaggeration, but we talk... a lot. Today was no different, I called her first.  I can always count on my mom to help me out.  On top of it, her and the Princess have some kind of special connection.  They have some kind of bond that I can't understand.  It's deep and special and something that just can't be explained, but it's real and it's powerful.  If I need someone to talk Princess down, my mom is the one to call.  Today however, I'd had enough.  I wanted my daughter to talk to me.  I didn't want to hand it over to my mom, my daughter and I needed to figure out our stuff.  
Unfortunately our conversation didn't exactly go the way I had hoped.  Before I said something I would regret, because I was already frustrated, I ended the call.  Ok, I hung up on her, but that's neither here nor there...
As I was sitting there, still at a loss of what to do, I got an idea: call your sister. WHAT!?  My sister and I have had a strained relationship for too many years.  Calling her at my most frustrated and vulnerable wasn't something I would normally think of, but if there's something I've learned, it's to listen to that still small voice.  So I did.  
Ya'll to say that it was a blessing would be the understatement of the year.  My sister not only helped me with the trouble I was currently having, but her and I made headway in some areas of our relationship that have been a wedge between us for as long as I can remember.  In a couple of phone calls her and I traveled miles past some of our issues.  We laughed and I cried.  I had to do my make up four times (she called me during my morning primp) because once I thought I was done crying, I'd start all over again.  She said some things to me that I never thought I'd hear her say.  She shared some very personal, emotional things with me, which is not something we've done in a very long time.  We were open, we were honest and we talked.  This is when we say "God did a work in us".  
Out of my super ugly, frustrating, no good-very-bad morning came a miracle so far out of left field that no one saw it coming.  
If we listen to the Spirit and really trust God to work out our most frustrating issues, He will not only honor that, He will bless it.  God loves us and wants us to be happy.  Some of us have a hard time believing that, but it's true!  If we let Him, really let Him, He will make lemonade out of our lemons.  And the best part is, we just have to hand Him the lemons and He will do the rest!  I don't know about you, but that takes a huge weight off my shoulders.   So I work my very best to listen to the Spirit when he reminds me that I'm about to make a mess of things.  Our nature is to keep all of our problems close to our breast, but ya'll I can promise you God's lemonade tastes better than yours ever could.  Go on friend, hand 'em over.  

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love that this happened. I don't even mind that you hung up on me. I just wish I'd realized you weren't there anymore *before* I'd waxed so eloquent and been so encouraging ;) I love you!

    ReplyDelete